Keeping an unconventional journal (Task 2a)

At first thought the idea of keeping a journal for me seems scary, I feel that I can't do it, that at first I will try to keep it organised and eventually I will end up with a useless, messy notebook. I know I am someone who gets ideas in the most inconvenient of places and by the time I get access to my notebook at the end of the day I will have forgotten everything I wanted to write down and stress out trying to remember things and end up writing for the sake of writing, something that might turn out to be not as useful. 

Sounds really dramatic I know, but I cannot help how I feel. HOWEVER, I can find an alternative. What scares me the most about keeping a journal? How can I deal with it? What would truly be useful to me while also providing evidence that I have been learning? 

PROBLEMS                                                       
  • Keeping it organised                         
  • Being able to access it any time
  • Being able to go back to entries and add to them

IDEA

My idea, which I have put into practice for some weeks now, is to not keep a traditional journal, but an electronic one. What's truly unconventional though is that I have been experimenting with keeping my journal within this blog instead of a Word file or some journal writing app. 

This might seem confusing... or even that I am not understanding the difference between a journal and a blog. But bear with me. 

I have divided my blog into two sections: the private and the public. Every idea I get and everything I want to reflect on goes into private posts (posts I save as drafts), this is my journal. Some of these I will eventually turn into public blog posts and some might stay forever private or only parts of them will be shared. I have already turned a couple of these journal entries into public blog posts and there are a few more in line.




This works for me. It makes me feel that everything is in one place, it's organised and I can access it from wherever I am, including walking down the street as I have downloaded the 'Blogger' app. 


There have been times that I have recorded things on the notebook I have for the course, usually when I have an idea after a Skype session and my notebook is already next to me, but when I do that I then transfer it to a draft post so everything stays organised in one place. 


WHAT TO WATCH OUT FOR

I am realising of course that by re-editing my entries will make me lose the initial date I started thinking about something and polishing up journal entries in order to make them public posts might result in losing initial ideas that might seem of no use at the moment of editing, but might end up being useful later on. 

For this reason, I have decided to record the dates of each entry within the text and with each addition  in the same subject add the new date where the new addition starts. 

I will also make sure that when I turn a journal entry into a blog post, I do not edit the draft post and then publish it, but start a new blog post altogether, so that the older one remains for future reference. 

What do you think?











Comments

Popular Posts